Monday, June 22, 2009

craft show season.

Craft show season has official begun. One of the best parts of a craft show is seeing all the ways vendors can transform a 10' x 10' space. You are bound to see a wide variety of booths - sleek and minimalist, pretty and feminine, bright and cheery, and everything in between.

Here are a few shops that have outstanding craft booths, and why each works. (Click on the pictures for a larger view of the details.)


shop
blog


Why It Works: Plenty of height and interest is created by using repurposed items like vintage suitcases and picnic baskets. These repurposed items also keeps her table tidy. Don't forget the handmade banner that keeps you from forgetting where you got that pretty stationary!




shop
blog


Why It Works: Bookshelves, wire baskets, and wood boxes make it possible to include a lot of product on the table, while still keeping an organized look. I also appreciate that each product is clearly labeled with what it is and the price. I will usually pass on something if I'm not sure what it is or how much it cost rather than ask.




shop
blog


Why It Works: This is one of the most viewed and most written about booths in large part because of the striped wood display case. It provides whimsy and a defined spot for each product. I am also a big fan of their new sign, welcoming in customers and reminding you who you are shopping with.




shop
blog


Why It Works: This is cheating a little as these are pictures from Red Velvet Art's shop, not craft show booth. However, there are still good display tips to take away from these pictures. The repetitive use of clipboards is a clean way to display a wide variety of prints, a task that could have easily looked overwhelming and messy. There is a lot going on in this store, but a cohesive color pallet and display clusters make it easy to take in.



Recap:

1. Repurpose new and vintage goods to create height and organize your products.

2. Clearly label your products with what they are (if not obvious), what they are made of, and any other special information that may make your product more appealing. Don't forget to clearly price each product.


3. Bring along a banner with your shop name (homemade is fine!) to let customers know who they are shopping with, especially if they want to buy more later! Make sure you put out a pile of business cards as well.

4. Aim for a cohesive look that mirrors the style of your product. If your products are bright and cheery, go for a lot of color in your booth design. If your products are sleek and sophisticated, opt for a more subdued design. This will help draw in your target audience who are most likely to be interested in your product.

5. Ensure your booth and display pieces are secure. Don't stack products too high. I will avoid a booth if I think I might knock something over just by browsing.

6. Make your booth as professional as possible. I always associated a well designed and professional booth with a well designed and professional product.

18 comments:

  1. Great advice and ideas to a successful craft show. One thing I would like to add to it,is I use a directors chair, it puts me at eye level with people if they happen to come up and I havent gotten up yet, I see so many vendors slumped down in a lawn chair, and sometimes cant get up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've posted some great advice here. And your photos show that you have put some time and consideration into how to lay out your items. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used clipboards for prints this past weekend (I got the idea straight from RVA!) It worked great! I really love the idea of the wire baskets too! Thanks so much for this article...I also have an old suitcase I was thinking about using as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, and really insightful tips. It pulls together different things into a cohesive whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool and creative. I especially love the last one with the clip boards. Some people in this life have such crazy good ideas and I have no idea how they come up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very appropriate article! I'm still working on my own displays too and this article has inspired some ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    [inkihandmade.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos and advice. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of those displays!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great article for people with small paper or other simple items. There is very little help out there for folks trying to display clothing in an attractive and useful manner. Any tips for us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for including my table! My favorite is Erinzam's! I need to get myself some more woooden boxes! Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great info! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article with great photos! Thanks for the info and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. great and useful article, im always looking for more ways to improve my craft table

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great article! I'm always striving to make my display better and better. I love the Something's Hiding in Here display, they were a few booth's down from me at Art Star and I was totally drawn to their tent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent information on how to have a great craft show display! I now know how to find some things such as suitcases, small bookcases so I can display my note cards and other small items. You provided great examples! Thank you for your article and images of displays. Helps big time!

    ReplyDelete