Monday, August 10, 2009

new week, new shop - CakeEaters.

Good morning, everyone! Hope you all had time this weekend to relax and prepare for another week. I want to start this week by introducing you to CakeEaters, the next shop in the "new week, new shop" series. CakeEaters is run by Katie, a crafter from the Chicago suburbs, and features a collection of hand embroidered wall hangings. Katie describes her work as nostalgic, playful, and eclectic. Take a look:

What makes CakeEaters special is Katie's ability to successfully merge vintage and modern. I often think of hand embroidery as an old school art, and the colors and materials used by Katie feel like they come from the past. However, her designs are modern and totally different than most embroidery out there. You don't often see embroidered rompers, but I love them!

It's obvious each piece is made with love and incredible care. I am a fan of the buttons that make their way into many of Katie's pieces, and the way she marks each piece on the back. Both details make each piece feel that much more special.

Katie is a crafter on the go, who doesn't limit her work to time at home. She takes her work with her everywhere! You would be hard pressed to find a time when she doesn't have an embroidery hoop and sketchbook tucked in her bag.

While I understand trying to get crafting time in whenever you have a free moment, I think it would be difficult to pull yourself away from a studio like Katie's. It's absolutely packed with inspiration! There's books. There's vases. There's art prints. And don't forget about all of that color. Similiar to her work, her studio is full of vintage and modern pieces. Be sure to click on the pictures below to check out all of the goodness in Katie's studio.

Katie is a jack of all trades when it comes to crafting, also dabbling in drawing, silk screening, and sewing. She informs me she has plans to expand the offerings in her shop to include illustrations, posters, and possibly even some apparel. I would love to see these other talents in action, but for the time being I'm content with her lovely and one of a kind hand embroidery pieces.

If you're a fan of Katie's work, make sure you visit CakeEaters and leave an encourating comment here!

7 comments:

  1. WOW! Her designs are fantastic. Thanks for introducing me to Cake Eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature! I love the buttons with the French knots... so beautiful! 'Rounds here we call my brother's family the Cake-Eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the buttons with the French knots too. Very creative! Thanks for sharing the link with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! I just have to say I love her shop name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her shop, but her studio is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She makes cute stuff and I'm in love with her studio!

    ReplyDelete